Thursday 28 June 2012

Ashdown in the Media!

On Monday 2nd July at 2.00pm the fascinating story of Ashdown House will be featured on BBC Berkshire's History Hour! BBC Berkshire is situated at Caversham Park which by a happy chance was once one of the First Earl of Craven's estates. It was confiscated during the English Civil War and Charles I was imprisoned there.

There will be a report on the show and on Caversham Park itself here on the blog next week. Meanwhile over on Twitter we are posting up regular photographs of Ashdown, the house, the woods and the estate, showing all the unusual aspects of the house and its history not always visible to the visitor.

The picture above is of the Coleshill frieze, a collection of the gilded plasterwork decoration from Coleshill House that is normally on display in the hall at Ashdown. Coleshill, built 10 years before Ashdown, will be another fascinating topic for a future blog piece. The plasterwork gives an idea of the type of glorious design that would once have graced both houses.

Follow us on Twitter at @AshdownHouseNT!

3 comments:

Deana Sidney said...

Goodness, it makes me so sad that I can't get these shows. I do wish BBC would be kind and shoot them over here online!!

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

I hope I can get this program! Thank you for telling us. I'm off to twitter to look at those photos ..... x

Nicola Cornick said...

I'm sorry they aren't available in the US. It would be great if the BBC made a TV programme about Ashdown. Plenty of material...

Minerva, I hope you like the photos! They are getting a great response on Twitter!